Monday, November 17, 2008

Stirring the Pot

It looks like, in the end, the church stirred up a hornet's nest.  Support for gay marriage around the country is galvanizing and civil rights will continue to make it's steady forward march, only  now with angry galvanized troops in tow.  What so many religious people don't seem to understand is that many see this as a civil rights issue and that many believe morality is a personal issue.  We will see what happens in the war, now that the church won a battle.

2 comments:

David and Kris Taylor said...

I really want to know why the church became involved. I have heard lots of ideas from lots of people on both sides of the issue, but so far, nothing over the pulpit from the church (at least not in our ward). I'm not being critical, I just want to know.

D.

will said...

Dickie, you should ask Doug about over the pulpit maneuvers. He's in a bishopric in CA.

As I've noted many times before, I think this will play out similarly to the civil rights battle. The church will fight on the conservative/ reactionary side, lose, and then one day hope that historical records disappear when newer generations are disgusted by the prejudice.